Sunday, December 6, 2009

Christmas Tree

Merry Christmas! We usually wait until later in the season to put the tree up but because the girls are so excited this year we decided to just go ahead and do it.

A number of years ago I was given the star that used to be on top of my grandparents tree because they have a special memory. I was born in December and they were doing the tree when my father called them to tell them I was born. They were putting the star on top. As I grew up it became my job to put the star on top of the tree and it still is. This what is left of a very old Christmas Star.


I created this star before I received the other star. It is pretty simple - squished up aluminum foil arranged with a rose. Sometimes I even slip a little tree light into the middle. It pairs up very nicely with the other star - one on each side.

This little bell has been on the tree for many years and makes the loveliest little tinkling sound.

This doll from India is from my California days when I would have a little Christmas Open House and Tree Decorating gathering. A dear friend from India contributed this beautiful ornament. My grandparents traveled the world and brought back ornaments from all over. This became a first non-grandparent international ornament.

I went through a Teddy Bear phase in my youth. This bear above is a remnant of those days and always sits just below the stars on the tree.

We have several birds on the tree. The peacock ornament is a recent addition and often gets lost on the tree because the green/green-blue is so close to the color of the tree. This year I decided to put it near the top of the tree so we would notice the silhouette. There is also an amazing wood bird, and several origami cranes.

The angel above used to be on my grandparents tree. When my grandmother died a few years ago we six cousins and our parents equitably divided up their Christmas tree ornaments. Each of us took turns and selected ornaments that meant something to us.
The snowman is a recent addition from B.s Girls Scout troop ornament exchange.

This crystal snowman was this year's addition from the Girls Scout ornament exchange.

This little manger ornament is a miracle in that we haven't lost the baby. Every year it goes on the tree and the baby repeatedly falls out and we repeatedly find it and put it back in.

A favorite theme of ours in China. Not long after we returned from China with J. an internet group of moms who had adopted from China, had an ornament exchange. The next few ornaments are some of those gifts.

Dragon

Porcelein doodad.

Cloisonne panda

Cloisonne teapot

Chinese Minority dolls

Unknown knitted doll and cloisonne ball with poinsettia.

This little Santa Claus still works. I remember it being at my grandparents house when I was much younger. It plays various Christmas carols and rings a bell.

This was a prize my Mom found at a second hand store. It also plays music.

Here is the completed tree with some early presents under it courtesy of B. who has been busy creating presents from recyclables and other things. Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christ filled Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background

Followers